The Western Australian Farmers Federation (Inc) (WAFarmers) is the largest and most influential agricultural advocacy group in Western Australia. WAFarmers is currently seeking an Executive Officer – Policy on a full time basis to strategically manage the General Policy Section with specific emphasis in the areas of Transport, Occupational Health and Safety, Farm Business Economics and Environmental Land Clearing.
- Provide high level advisory, analytical strategic policy and support services to the relevant General Section Council, the CEO; and the General President.
- Undertake specialist research and investigation in conjunction with elected representatives and other WAFarmers staff for the development and implementation of strategies, plans, reports, position papers and submissions to achieve desired outcomes at both a state and federal level.
- Represent WAFarmers on a range of governmental/industry stakeholder reference groups; and attendance at key events both within WA and interstate. While attending these events encourage and be instrumental in establishing; developing and nurturing relationships and networks which will benefit WAFarmers members.
- Provide a comprehensive secretariat service to sections and portfolios as required, including attendance and organizing of General Section meetings, the preparation of agendas, reports, minutes, correspondence and the follow up of actions and motions from meetings.
- Respond to members’ requests for advice, information and assistance in overcoming specific problems.
- Provide assistance to the Media and Communications Officer by providing regular content and updates for WAFarmers publications and social media and be seen as actively promoting WAFarmers activities and membership.
- Contribute towards an organisational culture of ownership, accountability and responsibility while actively participating in a team environment on issues that cross several commodity and general sections or are of an urgent nature.
- Maintain awareness of occupational safety and health and equal employment opportunity principles.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Selection Criteria to be addressed
- Strong Knowledge of rural affairs and agricultural matters
- Highly developed oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding analytical, time management and organisation skills.
- Research and report writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively both as a team member and autonomously unsupervised.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of policy development and/or political science – desirable
- Practical experience in relevant farm production systems – desirable
- Tertiary Degree in relevant field – desirable
Applicant must possess
- Current C Class Driver’s Licence.
- Ability to undertake inter-state and intra-state travel if required
- Remuneration package with be offered in accordance with level of experience.
- Modern offices in Guildford with free onsite parking provided.
Graduates with a strong agricultural background or completed studies in one or more the specific policy areas mentioned above are encouraged to apply.
Please email your CV and cover letter addressing the above selection criteria to [email protected] . Please note only short listed applicants will be contacted. Closing date Friday 18th September 2015.