WAFarmers was among those recognised at the 2017 Rural Media Association of WA Awards on Friday, with the organisation being highly commended in the Best Communications Campaign category.
Acknowledged for its work on a comprehensive WA State Election Campaign, the organisation was thrilled with the accolade. 2017 marks the second year in a row that WAFarmers was highly commended in this category, having won the category in 2015.
WAFarmers also sponsored the Best New Entrant category, with Tyne Logan from ABC South West and Great Southern taking out the top spot. Farm Weekly’s Stephanie Sinclair was highly commended in the category.
Many young entrants received awards on the night, a trend that was acknowledged by WAFarmers President Tony York.
“Supporting new people into an industry or specialised field is of paramount importance – not only to the individual’s professional development, but also to the sector they have entered,” he said.
“By encouraging them to learn new skills, develop existing ones and challenging them to become better in their profession, the individual’s potential is exponentially increased as they strive to make significant contributions in their chosen field.
“I was encouraged by the number of young people that not only entered the awards but also received accolades, so I offer my congratulations to them and all those who entered the 2017 RMA WA Awards, and acknowledge the outstanding calibre of their work.”
Congratulations to all the award winners and highly commended entries:
- Best News Coverage, Print | Winner, Stephanie Sinclair (Farm Weekly); Highly Commended: Jo Prendergast (ABC Mid West)
- Best News Coverage, Broadcast | Winner, Jo Prendergast (ABC Mid West); Highly Commended, Belinda Varischetti (ABC Radio Perth)
- Best Regional News Coverage Outside Agriculture | Winner, Colin Bettles (Fairfax Agricultural Media); Highly Commended, Lisa Morrison (ABC North West and Karratha)
- Best Communications Campaign | Winner, CBH; Highly Commended, WAFarmers
- Best New Entrant | Winner, Tyne Logan (ABC South West and Great Southern); Highly Commended, Stephanie Sinclair (Farm Weekly)
- Best Photograph | Winner, Tom Zaunmayr (Pilbara News); Highly Commended, Dorothy Henderson (ABC Rural)
- Best Feature | Winner, Nathan Dyer (freelance); Highly Commended, Stephanie Sinclair
- Student Award | Winner, Marley Amphlett (ECU)
- Excellence in Rural Media | Winner, ABC Rural; Highly Commended, CBH