WAFarmers members are encouraged to contribute to the inquiry into R&D levies in the agricultural sector. This levy impacts on organisations like GRDC, AWI, MLA and RIRDC.
Members can forward their thoughts to [email protected] to be passed on to the appropriate Executive Officer.
Below is some information on the inquiry.
Inquiry into the industry structures and systems governing the imposition of and disbursement of marketing and research and development (R&D) levies in the agricultural sector
On 2 September 2014, the Senate referred the following matter to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 24 November 2014:
The industry structures and systems governing the imposition of and disbursement of marketing and research and development (R&D) levies in the agricultural sector, with particular reference to:
- an audit of reports, inquiries and reviews relevant to this inquiry;
- the basis on which levies are imposed, collected and used;
- competing pressures for finite R&D funds;
- the opportunities levy payers have to influence the investment of the levies;
- the opportunities levy payers have to approve and reapprove the imposition of levies;
- the transformation of R&D and marketing into increased returns at the farm gate, including the effectiveness of extension systems;
- collaboration on research to benefit multiple industry and research sectors;
- industry governance arrangements, consultation and reporting frameworks; and
- any other related matter.
The Committee invites you to make a submission addressing all or some of the issues identified in the Terms of Reference. The Committee is also keen to receive evidence from individual levy payers. It would be appreciated, therefore, if you were able to publicise the inquiry amongst your members and encourage them to make their views known to the Committee.
The closing date for submissions to the inquiry is 20 October 2014.
The Committee encourages the lodgement of submissions in electronic form. Submissions can be lodged via the Online Submission System which can be accessed at: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Economics/ASIC/Submissions or can be sent by email to [email protected], or by post to:
Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Please note that submissions become committee documents and, absent a committee decision to the contrary, are published online. Persons making submissions must not release them without the committee’s prior approval. Submissions are covered by parliamentary privilege but their unauthorised release is not.
Please ensure that any submissions or attachments you wish to remain confidential are clearly marked as such. A covering letter, clearly outlining the specific reasons for requesting confidentiality, should also be attached to the submission. Please contact the Secretariat if you require further advice on any issues with regard to confidentiality.
For further information about the inquiry see the inquiry homepage at http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Rural_and_Regional_Affairs_and_Transport/Agriculture_levies: or phone (02) 6277 3511.